Tuesday 14 April 2015

Do you enjoy making gifts for other people? Then SWAPS might be for you.

I love making things for other people to enjoy.  It can be anything from family meals and snacks to something I have crafted .... sewn, crocheted, knitted.  I get enjoyment from the making process and hopefully they get enjoyment in using or consuming the gift.

This month I saw a Facebook post asking for people to make 6" blocks to be used in a quilt for a girl about to have a bone marrow transplant.  Her mother thought she might benefit from knowing she was loved, by lots of people she didn't know, while undergoing her next treatment in her battle with cancer.  Now I could have said - 'Oh, what a nice idea' and left it at that.

But this Nanna has a purpose... to do more things that will show love to other people I come across, whether face to face or through the internet.


So out came the cotton from here and on Sunday evening I made 2 squares.  The pattern is the one I made up when making a mat for Noela for the Initial heart swap (I left out the initial as it wasn't an 'N') My squares came out just the right size too.



They went into the mail on Monday morning, with a get well card for the girl, and are now flying to the UK.  I wonder where the other squares will come from?  I hope I see an update for this project.

Another way to enjoy your craft is to join SWAPS.  This is where you make something, following a theme, and send it to the person you have been partnered with for that project.

I have been involved in a few of these now and am finding people who enjoy the things I enjoy all around the world.  

Last year's quilt involved sending blocks to people in the colour and design of their choice (from a selection given by the organiser).  I chose pinks and purples and this is my quilt (don't mind the pins - the handwork always takes a while to finish).


As this was an international swap, I backed it with fabric I purchased while visiting Singapore on a cruise last year.  This swap was organised through Jody, who is in the process of organising another one at the moment.  What will we be making and where will we be sending our blocks?

My recent SWAPS have been with aprons and Tote bags.  

The first apron swap was organised by Jenny and Wendy.  It entailed making and apron and sending it with a recipe to your swap partner.  My parcel arrived in Germany yesterday, so I could finally open the parcel which arrived here 2 weeks ago.

Käthe has made a beautiful full apron with 2 pockets.  I am going to love wearing it.


She also included a lovely hot mat and a recipe notebook with the recipe for Meatloaf - can't wait to finish translating it so that I can make one.



Kathe received from me a full apron, a knitted dishcloth and 2 recipes that I love making:
Apricot Squares and Banana Cake.



   

 

So, until the other apron and the Tote bag arrives, I'll be looking for things to do for others.  How about you?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marilyn,
    I am glad to see you with your new apron.
    I am happy with my apron that you sent to me and I love the dishcloth !
    My daughter translate the recipes for me.
    Love Käthe

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a lovely thing to do...& I'm sure the little girl will appreciate your kindness.
    Yes swaps are fun... & you make so many wonderful friends too. xox

    ReplyDelete